Hosted by FWB Park Brown, in collaboration with FinTech Scotland, the evening of Wednesday 27 March 2019 saw business leaders from a wide variety of sectors, gather to hear about the work of FinTech Scotland. The event was an opportunity to improve cross sector learning and collaboration and, for many, an insight into how the commercial application of a huge variety of FinTech innovations will bring significant benefits and changes to the majority of B2B and B2C businesses.
Drawing from the recent experiences of FinTech Scotland CEO Stephen Ingledew, attendees were very interested to hear about the wide variety of stakeholders that make up the FinTech Scotland community, some fascinating stories about successful collaboration between FinTech and other areas such as BioTech and Renewables, with extremely positive support from the Public Sector, academia and the investment community.
Relevant FinTech applications discussed included:
- Secure payment platforms across a number of industries including retail, hospitality and e-commerce
- Improved access to financial data empowering and easing lending decisions in relation to start-ups, scale-ups, SMEs and family businesses
- Access to capital through ‘non-traditional’ sources of funding, i.e. crowdfunding platforms
- Improved security of large bank transfers, (traditional and cryptocurrency) including Blockchain technology
- Expenses and contractor management systems, already being implemented across construction, financial services, engineering and large field sales based organisations
- Insurance technology platforms improving the customer experience and opening revenue streams within industries such as Real Estate, Automotive and Travel
The evening involved a drinks and canape reception, creating space for guests to network and share ideas. How the use of technology is reinventing the way in which we interact with and consume financial services, and its impact on all areas of the economy, was reflected by the Q & A roundtable discussion that followed.
Graham Burns, Director of FWB Park Brown commented “We are very grateful to Stephen Ingledew for giving generously his time to bring the good work of FinTech Scotland to a diverse audience. It is very clear to all who attended that exciting developments in FinTech are much too important not to share with the wider Scottish economy”.