Home » Executive Director of Finance and Operations
- April 18, 2019
As the professional body for 12,000 Scottish solicitors, The Law Society of Scotland seeks to lead legal excellence through becoming a world-class professional body. Established in 1949 and largely financed by members, the Law Society regulates and represents all Scottish solicitors and has an important duty towards the public interest.
A 5 year strategy was launched in 2015 with ambitious goals through to 2020. In order to aid with the completion of the 2020 delivery as well as crucially contributing to the innovation and strategic design of the 2025 plan, The Law Society is looking to fill the vacancy for an Executive Director of Finance and Operations.
This role reports to the Chief Executive, will be a key member of the Executive Team and have the responsibility for the ongoing evolution of the strategy and development of the organisation as well as personal accountability and responsibility across the Finance & Operations directorate.
The Finance and Operations directorate includes the Finance, Technology (IT and Digital), HR, Facilities, Central Operations and Registrar’s teams.
This senior role will focus on leading on organisation-wide annual and long-term business and financial planning in support of the organisation’s strategic ambitions.
In addition to future proofing the delivery of the strategic Finance, Operations and HR services, this individual will be instrumental in leading the successful delivery of world class digital transformation that drives internal efficiency and market and regulatory insight, to support the entire organisation.
Responsibilities will include:
- Planning and execution of the long-term financial strategies for the Society and leadership of the finance function ensuring robust financial control, treasury management and compliance with regulatory and auditing standards.
- Planning and oversight of all directorate budgets (including income and costs)
- Leading on the organisation’s identification and management of risk and compliance
- Setting, monitoring and reporting on Key Performance Indicators across all areas of the organisation
- Working with colleagues to evolve the governance structure and ensure that it fits with the organisations mission, purpose and values
- Providing dynamic leadership to seven heads of teams within the directorate.
- Engaging with the Society’s strategic suppliers and representing the Society in other relevant networks and forums
This role represents a unique opportunity to contribute to the ongoing transformation of a successful, ambitious and world renowned professional body at a time of exciting opportunity and change for the legal sector.
A strong leader with significant people skills, a commercial focus and experience of working closely with a Board will be required. A background in finance is critical alongside a strong track-record of leading strategic programmes of change through technological advancement and improvements.
This will therefore suit a motivated and driven commercial finance professional with broader business and technology acumen who is looking to make a real lasting impact on an organisation and sector as part of their career achievements and development.
Further information is available by requesting the full candidate brochure or arranging an initial confidential conversation with Michael Dickson at FWB Park Brown.
To apply please send your CV and current remuneration details to Michael Dickson at FWB Park Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Michael to confidentially discuss further on 0131 539 7087.