Home » Appointment of Trustees
- June 07, 2022
The award-winning Scottish Ensemble is a pioneering string orchestra which regularly performs across Scotland, the UK and the globe. With a wonderful reputation and a constellation of exceptional musicians, it champions music for strings, promoting the rich diversity of the string repertoire, exploring adventurous ways through which it can be presented and shared, and seeking out thoughtful ways of connecting it to contemporary life. The organisation is also very well managed by an excellent team and is also in good health financially, despite all the recent challenges.
The role of a Trustee is therefore a very enjoyable one which also has a relatively low (but important!) time commitment. There are four board meetings per year, plus an annual away day. From time to time, individual Trustees will also work on strategic projects directly related to their professional background and lead sub-committees. They of course regularly attend performances which is also a pleasure. We are currently seeking to appoint two new Trustees to the Board, the core responsibilities being in:
- Developing, setting and upholding of the vision, mission and values of Scottish Ensemble
- Strategic planning, evaluation and decision making
- Risk management and review of budgets and accounts
- Review of staffing structures and resources, including senior management recruitment
- Oversight of reporting to regulators and funders
- Board succession planning and supporting the Chief Executive and executive team, acting as a critical friend
- Playing a positive ambassadorial role
We are therefore looking for:
- Good experience and understanding at board level (particularly in innovation-focused organisations)
- A general interest in music and/or passion for the performing arts
- Strong critical strategic thinking and an ability to challenge constructively
To apply please contact Willie Finlayson via firstname.lastname@example.org or 0131 539 7087.