Home » Board Member
- October 24, 2020
Why we need you:
At Cancer Research UK, we are looking to bring together a group of committed, dynamic and influential business leaders in Edinburgh of CEO/Director level, to join our Business Beats Cancer movement and bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
What will you be doing?
You will join a Board of volunteers from the business community to play a key role in delivering an annual flagship event, such as a business dinner, with the ambition to raise £100K+.
Your role will include:
- Attending regular board meetings (every 4 weeks recommended) virtual or in person.
- Contributing fairly to the tasks required to organise, promote and deliver your event.
- Willingness to open up own business networks to benefit the board for activities, such as securing sponsorship, selling tickets and acquiring auction prizes. Ideally, you should be able to buy a table through your own business and sell at least one other table to another business, plus acquire 2-3 high value prizes.
- Represent Cancer Research UK and your board in your city.
- Motivate and support other members of the group.
The type of person we are looking for
- A business leader of CEO/Director level who is influential and well networked in your business community. You will be a team player who is motivated and reliable with a passion for the work of Cancer Research UK, committed to achieving great results.
- We are looking for a range of experience and capabilities, including leaders in the marketing, legal, financial and professional services industries.
What benefits can you get from this role?
- Meet like-minded people who are working together to raise money for Cancer Research UK.
- Personal satisfaction of knowing you are helping Cancer Research UK bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
- Opportunity to use your business acumen and skills in a different way.
- Broadening your own network, whilst increasing your profile and recognition.
- Funding research taking place in your area, whilst having an impact nationally on the fight against cancer.
How much time do you need to commit?
The role will take approximately 2-3 hours per month, which may increase slightly nearer to the event.
More about Business Beats Cancer Edinburgh
The BBC Edinburgh Board are a group of business professionals, who for different reasons wanted to work together to do something positive and proactive to support the work of Cancer Research UK. Please see details of the current board here: https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/business-beats-cancer-edinburgh
The scale of our mission for people affected by cancer is huge. We have a bold vision of bringing forward the day when all cancers are cured. Despite many external challenges, not least those exacerbated by the global pandemic, we have a clear vision of our role in a changing world, harnessing the expertise of people affected by cancer, our researchers, our supporters, our volunteers, health professionals and thought leaders. We are confident that together we will beat cancer.
We are now looking for two new members for this board. This is a perfect time and an ideal opportunity to play a crucial role in raising essential funds for the charity as a member of a committed and focussed Board. You will understand the role of a Non Executive Board Member and demonstrate the ability to contribute constructively to a high-quality and collaborative board environment. You will have excellent inter-personal and communication skills, astute judgement, and integrity. We are looking for dynamic, interesting, driven individuals who can help us to raise funds during 2021, as well as contribute to pulling together a fantastic charity event in early 2022 where we hope to raise further funds with a fantastic auction at our sparkling and fun annual dinner!
At CRUK we value diversity and we’re committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and to reach their full potential. We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures and believe that a diverse workforce will help us to beat cancer sooner. This includes our Business Beats Cancer Board in Edinburgh. With that in mind, we actively encourage expressions of interest from those who will build on the diversity of our Board. We are also interested in hearing from individuals who have lived with cancer.
To apply, please send a covering letter along with a current CV to Ailsa Sutherland, Board Member at email@example.com
Closing date: Friday 6th August 2021
Together we will beat cancer.