Home » Chief Economist
- September 07, 2023
The Institute of Directors (IoD) is the UK’s leading organisation for individual business and organisational leaders. A thriving membership community for company directors, entrepreneurs and senior business leaders in the UK and beyond, the IoD offers professional development, valuable connections, influence and many other benefits to its members and the wider business community.
Key activities of the IoD include providing leading edge representation, support and development for directors and leaders, helping them to achieve greater success for their organisation and their own careers. Its four main imperatives are to grow the membership reflecting the communities it represents, add value to members in all interactions, build on the strengths in governance, policy and professional development and to continue developing IoD finances to give the organisation a firm foundation for the future.
The Chief Economist is responsible for shaping and communicating the IoD’s economic policy agenda. The role holder will be one of the IoD’s key spokespersons on policy matters. He/she will adopt a highly visible profile in the media and with the UK government. The role involves regular engagement with government ministers and officials to advocate IoD positions and enhance the influence of the IoD. The role also involves interaction with IoD members and other business decision-makers to form IoD positions and share insight on current economic trends and the policy landscape. There are regular public-speaking and thought leadership opportunities, including at conferences and in the media.
Key responsibilities include:
- Undertake credible and thought-provoking economic analysis to help formulate IoD positions and build evidence to support them.
- Develop strong relationships with senior government officials, ministers, politicians and the media.
- Present the economic outlook and IoD policy positions at conferences, events and to the media.
- Deliver effective consultation submissions which reflect the broad views of IoD members and take account of the current economic, fiscal and political context.
- Support the Director of Policy and Governance, the Director General and all IoD stakeholders to develop policy priorities and campaigning issues.
- Participate and contribute strongly to internal and external meetings and committees as required.
We are looking for an experienced and highly credible Economist with a deep understanding of the UK economy and government policy making with a background in quantitative research, data analysis and basic econometrics. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills plus strong experience of working directly with the media will be valuable attributes to bring to this role.
Interested candidates should send their CV, with full remuneration details, to Graham Burns at email@example.com . For a confidential conversation, please call 0131 539 7087.
- Remote/Hybrid with Travel