Home » Chief Financial Officer
- April 28, 2023
The Artisanal Spirits Co – Edinburgh Based with Hybrid Working
The Artisanal Spirits Co (ASC) are building a premium, direct to consumer, high growth, high margin, global spirits group. At its core, we are driven by the Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS), supported by additional brands. Our company believes in doing things differently. We own SMWS, which was established in 1983 and has grown from serving a small group of whisky enthusiasts in Edinburgh to being the world’s leading whisky club, with a worldwide community of over 34,000 passionate members.
In 2021 we launched JG Thomson & Co, a new brand focused on offering an adventurous and exceptional range of small batch blended spirits. We also have plans to take advantage of opportunities in the sizable and fast-growing American whiskey market.
The ASC was admitted as a publicly listed company on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange in June 2021, which raised £15 million to invest in various aspects of the business, a significant proportion of which came from SMWS members themselves.
Our international development continues as a significant success story for ASC and remains a clear area for growth alongside the long-established UK market. We now operate in more than 20 countries, including Australia, China, Japan, Germany, Canada and the United States.
We believe that our business model is unique because we focus on offering world-class single cask, single malt products that delight premium spirits drinkers globally, as well as exceptional small batch blended whiskies and spirits.
Our soul has long been inspired by pioneering people with big dreams and bold plans. We seek out whisky and spirits in their purest form, and prize flavour above everything.
The Exciting Opportunity
Following the promotion our CFO Andrew Dane to CEO we are partnering with FWB Park Brown to search for an exciting successor to the CFO position to join an exceptional Board and leadership team on this exciting journey.
The CFO will be a Board member and report to our CEO Andrew Dane. They will have overall financial responsibility for the Group and will have a significant Board voice on broader commercial matters. This is therefore every bit as much a business role as a financial one, although there is of course a real need to get the numbers right and give all stakeholders the accurate and timely financial information they expect – especially in a real time, listed, fast growth environment.
That said, we do not want someone who sees this as merely preparing the monthly accounts and board pack, important and necessary though that is, rather the CFO to bring skills and expertise to complement the existing Leadership Team. In fact, as a senior member of the management team and, as such, a leader within the business, you should:
- Encourage & develop ideas to strengthen the overall business
- Lead, motivate, coach and develop your direct reports and wider team
- Encourage a “one team” approach and be ambitious, positive and encouraging on a daily basis.
- To lead and develop the financial and strategic plan for growth in line with the Board’s vision and plan for the organisation
- To be accountable for accounting, finance, forecasting, strategic planning, deal analysis and negotiations and investor / shareholder relations.
- To be accountable for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities including the development of financial and operational strategies.
- Leading the design and provision of relevant and insightful financial and operating information and analysis to the Board and Investors in a timely manner (including monthly P&L, CF and BS), giving a clear overview of business performance and fuelling commercial decision making and strategic planning discussions.
- Developing and managing robust and fit for purpose financial systems and controls and taking responsibility for risk and finance policies, multi-jurisdiction tax analysis, planning and structuring.
- Leading on cash and working capital management and managing the treasury requirements of the business to best effect, including any foreign exchange and hedging activities.
- To ensure that the group corporate structure is efficient and provides a suitable base for future growth.
- To ensure the funding structure of the group is suitable for all foreseeable short term and medium term needs
- Managing the annual audit process and ensuring rigorous compliance with financial reporting requirements.
- Developing and leading a fully functional, visible and influential finance team.
- Leading the finance function to ensure that high standards of control and accountability are in place and the business is supported in the most effective way.
- Communicating effectively with relevant Stakeholders, the Board and shareholders.
- Where necessary, leading communications with, and developing strong, long term banking relationships.
- Leading communications with all external advisors with regard to audit, tax, insurance and ensuring compliance with all required reporting to relevant authorities.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a talented finance leader to join an already successful, growing and highly ambitious business and to make a significant impact to the value creation journey, efficiencies and overall performance of the team, culture and business.
For more information on this opportunity, or to review the candidate brochure and personal requirements for the role, please contact Michael Dickson at FWB Park Brown to arrange a confidential conversation.
FWB Park Brown are managing the search and selection process on behalf of the Artisanal Spirits Co and all enquiries will be passed to Michael Dickson to review.
Michael can be contacted on 0131-539-7087 or email@example.com