Home » Commercial Counsel (12 month FTC)
- October 24, 2020
Our client, BAE Systems, are looking for a talented Commercial Counsel to support their ambitious plans to deliver some of the most exciting and complex Naval Ships defence programmes in the UK and across their international markets. BAE Systems is a member of the FTSE100 and is one of the world’s leading, defence, security and aerospace companies and their Naval Ships business is headquartered in Glasgow, Scotland.
BAE Systems is one of the world’s leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. The company works at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
Maritime Naval Ships
The company designs and builds a full range of naval ships, giving customers the capability to fulfil extensive naval operations. It also develop and integrate state of the art combat systems for the surface fleet, equipping customers with the best possible information to operate effectively in modern naval environments. BAE Systems are committed to creating solutions that protect and strengthen nations, commerce, communities and people.
From offshore patrol vessels through to the Type 26 Global Combat Ship and Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers, the projects you’ll be involved with are exciting and challenging and will form the backbone of the UK Royal Navy for decades to come. Attracting and retaining the sharpest minds is essential for a globally competitive UK naval engineering business. Their aim is to recruit the very best talent and we welcome applications from a diverse range of people, from all backgrounds, with many different skills, experience and perspectives. The company offers the flexibility you need to do what’s important to you, whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or simply the ability to flex your start and stop times. Where practical, BAE Systems will support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your full potential.
As a Commercial Counsel, you will advise the business on a broad range of commercial legal matters and support the wider Legal team in managing all aspects of legal risk across the Naval Ships business. The work will involve advising the business on commercial contracts generally, including high value complex contracts with suppliers for equipment, software and services, and contracts with the UK Ministry of Defence and our international customers (such as those in Australia and Canada), as well as providing advice to the business on compliance matters, resolving issues to avoid disputes and developing innovative solutions to novel legal questions. There will be a need to travel from time to time to other Naval Ship sites across the UK such as Bristol and Portsmouth and to the BAE Systems Head Office in Farnborough. Some infrequent international travel may be required.
This role sits within BAE Systems’ growing Legal Team and will provide you with the opportunity to work closely with world leading Engineers, Commercial, Procurement and Project Management teams. You will be working as a true business partner with extensive involvement in business decision making.
Your main responsibilities as a Legal Counsel will involve:
- Providing in-depth, professional and proactive legal support and advice to all functions within the Naval Ships business
- Drafting, negotiating, agreeing and managing a wide range of contractual arrangements with customers, suppliers and industry partners for products, services, software and technology
- Ensuring that the Naval Ships business is compliant with applicable legal and business requirements including health & safety, the environment, export control regulations, employment laws and ethical business conduct
- Assisting in the identification and development of legal solutions to assist in the execution of business plans
- Participating from an early stage in disputes and to assist in developing appropriate strategies for their effective resolution
- Managing and ensuring the efficient use of external counsel and providing training on matters of law, know-how and policy
- Identifying and creating legal framework solutions to support BAE Systems’ use of and increasing service offerings build around data insights and artificial intelligence
- Liaising with Legal colleagues in other BAE Systems businesses and internal BAE Systems Group Legal specialists in matters such as intellectual property, data protection and employment law
- Keeping abreast of legal and business developments relevant to the Naval Ships business and understanding the commercial, political and economic issues affecting the Naval Ships business
Your skills and qualifications as a Legal Counsel:
- English or Scottish qualified solicitor/barrister with post-qualification experience in an appropriate leading law firm and/or in-house experience
- Excellent drafting & negotiation skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in multiple formats and in a clear and concise manner
- Sound knowledge of and experience of dealing with complex, international commercial contracts and regulatory and compliance issues
- A good understanding of intellectual property and its commercial exploitation
- Exposures to data protection and data management issues would be advantageous
- Defence sector experience is not essential for this position
To apply, please send your CV to Adam Brown, Director at FWB Park Brown at email@example.com. For an initial discussion, please contact Adam on 0131 539 7087.
- Scotstoun; Glasgow