Home » Director of Event Operations and Technology
- July 18, 2022
“An environment to inspire, ideas that change the world.
Every day incredible events take place in our venue. People come together from across the world to make new connections, to be inspired and to exchange ideas. We are passionate about staging enriching events which have the potential to spark new ideas amongst the attending delegates.
The EICC is located right in the heart of one of the world’s most beautiful, historic and stirring cities, which provides a dramatic backdrop for our clients’ events. Destination Edinburgh, together with the EICC’s advanced facilities, and our driven team, has proved to be a winning combination.
We believe it is this winning combination which enables us to deliver hundreds of impactful events every year for a diverse client base which includes Microsoft, Virgin and in recent years the globally-renowned TEDSummit.”
EICC Ltd was formed in the early nineties as a joint venture between Edinburgh District Council and Lothian & Edinburgh Enterprise, it was to be part of the Edinburgh Exchange Masterplan – the biggest urban regeneration scheme outside London at the time. When built in 1995, it became the first conference venue in the world to utilise revolving auditoria to optimise events space – The Lennox Suite has the world’s first hall-wide tension wire grid and moving floor combination designed to deliver an array of different event set ups.
It has since welcomed over 1.4 million delegates from more than 120 countries generating around £660m of economic impact for the city region.
The EICC has been planning for some time to expand business activity, to develop significant new revenue streams, and has plans to build and operate a new 349-bedroom hotel situated within walking distance of the conference centre. This will also include a hotel training school, with a view to provide training and development opportunities within the hospitality and leisure industry in Scotland.
With plans to diversify and expand the capability of the Conference Centre in the future, this is a fantastic opportunity to be part of a real growth journey which will have a significant impact on Scotland, its society and the wider economy.
This is a newly created role within the organisation, which will assume responsibility for all event production development and execution including logistics, planning and technology utilisation.
The individual will have a direct impact on the EICC’s capability in terms of delivery and development of services as it evolves in a technology enabled events environment.
It will play a key role in managing customer relationships, providing technical input into bid work and ultimately assuming responsibility for hosting world-class events for up to 2000 people at a time.
Responsibilities will include;
- Contribution to organisational strategy as part of the Executive Leadership Team to achieve EICC’s Corporate Objectives and exceed expectations
- Providing overall leadership and direction in all the EICC’s Technical & Event matters , enhancing customer experience
- Budgetary responsibility for event operations and technology functions within the organisation
- Management and accountability for the client and delegate experience with the EICC ensuring appropriate communication, contingency and quality plans are in place
- Management of security, health & safety teams and associated regulatory requirements with regards to event management
- Responsibility for asset management as part of event production and associated stakeholder management including external partnerships and 3rd party contractors
We are looking to appoint an experienced Events Operations leader with extensive experience of Technology utilisation throughout their career.
They will bring experience of running large-scale events on behalf of international customers which are diverse in terms of background and type.
The individual will be an inspiring and visible leader within the organisation, and externally to the EICCs customer base, with customer-centricity at the heart of everything they do.
They will also have most of the following;
- Ideally broad knowledge across areas of Technical Production including creating stage set design, sound, lighting, rigging, video, data and networking.
- Experience managing a large number of employees with different backgrounds, skillsets, freelance and production teams.
- A proven track record in increasing profitability and experience in successfully managing budgets, forecasts and operational costs including Payroll.
- Strong commercial, IT and financial acumen.
- Experience operating a large venue with extensive event delivery.
- Knowledge and understanding of Health & Safety and regulatory requirements applicable to the industry.
To read more about the role, organisation and how to apply, please read the candidate brochure by clicking here.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter to Jamie Brown, Director at FWB Park Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org. For an initial confidential conversation please contact our Edinburgh office on 0131 539 7087.