Home » Director of Finance
- August 11, 2023
The National Galleries of Scotland is a renowned institution dedicated to preserving and showcasing Scotland’s world-class art collection. The NGS house and look after Scotland’s world-class art collection- one of the finest in the world. Separated into three galleries within Edinburgh- the National, Modern and Portrait- they are passionate on providing a space for thinking, dreaming and playing. Soak up the art. Meet friends in the cafes or have a family picnic surrounded by the sculptures in the Modern grounds. Choose your own experience.
NGS is driven by the belief that art should be accessible to everyone. They put their audience at the heart of what they do, and they are looking for an individual who will share that vision. They are constantly working hard on being an innovative and inclusive organisation that embeds Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) throughout all levels of the institution. They are also committed to tackling the Climate Emergency in the way that they work. Consequently, NGS are looking for a Finance Director to join their team and someone who is passionate about creating a space for art and culture lovers while engaging with their strategic vision: Art for Scotland: Inspiration for the World.
The future postholder will be an experienced Finance Director and an effective leader to manage the talented team of financial professionals. The ideal candidate will have experience in all aspects of Finance, with an ability to positively influence the stakeholders through attending the NGS Audit and Risk Committee, a sub-group of the board of Trustees. This role is key to the success of the National Galleries of Scotland through ensuring exceptional financial management, compliance, and governance at the National Galleries of Scotland.
Some key responsibilities include:
- Providing strategic and financial guidance to ensure that the financial commitments are met.
- Providing a well-informed healthy challenge to aid decision making on how and where to allocate funding.
- Developing all necessary policies and procedures to ensure the sound financial management and control of the organisation’s business.
- Ensure strong governance and risk management and advise the Board of Trustees and senior staff across the National Galleries of Scotland.
- Accountable for the maintenance of all the financial records of the National Galleries of Scotland, the NGS Trading Company and the NGS Foundation (NGSF). This includes the preparation of the statutory accounts and the production of timely, accurate and relevant management information for the multiple departments and projects in NGS. It also includes reporting for the investment portfolios of both NGS and NGSF.
- Provide strong leadership and coaching to a talented team.
The incoming postholder must possess certain qualifications and skills including:
- You will be a fully Qualified Accountant & member of a professional body
- You will have experience of working at Director level and Audit Committees; knowledge of funding models and income streams
- You will be a strong leader with the ability to inspire across teams of professionals operating in a complex environment; be an authentic leader with a genuine interest in people with the ability to galvanise colleagues across the organisation towards a shared vision and be capable of leading and supporting ambitious equality, diversity and inclusion priorities.
- You will have an understanding of financial systems, including payment, MIS, payroll, general ledger.
To view the candidate brochure, please click here.
Interested candidates should send their CV, with a cover letter, to Adam Brown of FWB Park Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org. For a confidential conversation, please call 0131 539 7087.