Home » Director of Finance & IT
- October 06, 2019
The Scottish Football Association is the governing body of football in Scotland. It has ultimate responsibility for the development and regulation of Scotland’s national game. Formed in 1873, it is the second oldest national football association in the world. It is a member of FIFA and UEFA and sits on the International Football Association Board which is responsible for the Laws of the Game.
Based at Hampden Park in Glasgow, the Scottish FA is responsible for both men’s and women’s senior national football teams, the international development squads from under-16 to under-21 age groups, and the prestigious Scottish Cup as well as numerous other duties important to the functioning of the game in Scotland.
Its responsibility is far broader than governing the professional game. The organisation not only supports the development of the game from grass roots through to the professional game, but is committed to ensuring the game is accessible to all, supporting the growth of football across diverse groups regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, ability or health.
The opportunity now exists for a Director of Finance & IT, representing an excellent and very interesting position for a commercially astute and technically capable individual to join an organisation at the very heart of Scottish sport. Responsibility will be assumed for the Finance function, as well as IT and HR to deliver a robust and accurate financial and management information for the Group.
Along with the CEO, the FD is part of the Executive Leadership Team alongside the Commercial Director and Head of Regulation (Legal Counsel). It is vital therefore that the FD has the ability to work in a close-knit team in a collaborative manner, with the Finance and IT and HR functions operating highly effectively, leaving time to support the CEO in setting strategy and wider projects and initiatives.
Responsibilities of the FD will therefore include;
- Overall responsibility for Group finances, the financial management of the organisation to meet internal and external reporting requirements, including strategic advice and analysis to the Audit & Risk Committee, the Board and other entities.
- Coordination and preparation of the annual operating and capital budget from liaison with budget holders through to approval by the Board.
- The development of incisive and commercially relevant Management Information that is made regularly available to the Board and to senior management.
- Ensuring there is a strong financial control environment and decision support to enhance decision making, accountability and control across all functions in the business.
- Manage and report on the company pension schemes including management of the relationships with Trustees and Actuary, and the related investment and funding strategy.
- Create, implement and manage a Group Investment strategy, including management of all investment categories, foreign currency management and exchange risk, along with planning for working capital requirements.
- Lead and develop the Group IT function to ensure provision of fit for purpose services, systems and security.
- Direct the Group HR function to ensure up to date policies particularly in relation to equality and diversity.
- Maintain and expand the risk management processes, reporting to the Audit and Risk Committee on progress towards all projects and development areas.
- To create and deliver a Funding Strategy to support delivery of the strategic objectives.
There is a solid operational and financial platform in place, but it goes without saying that in this new economic landscape strong cash management, cost control and leadership skills will be critical to ensuring long term sustainability and success.
From a technical perspective there will be a number of challenges for the Director of Finance & IT upon joining across finance, tax and treasury and liaison with the Trustee of the defined benefits pension scheme, as well as the management of some complex and disparate revenue sources from an accounting perspective. Importantly, they will also contribute to the strategic plan which is being refreshed. They will arrive at a time when the budgeting process is underway and will be required to take this on.
Given the requirement for accurate and robust management information, it is essential the successful candidate is diligent, detail oriented and possesses the ability to communicate financial reports and information in a concise and clear manner. A large part of this role is in providing confidence to the Board on the numbers and that all material risks are identified and well-managed.
The Director of Finance and IT is a member of the Operational Board and reports to the Audit & Risk Committee in the first instance and also attends main Board meetings, which are held monthly.
The successful candidate will therefore be:
- An experienced and inspiring Finance leader who has spent time in a commercially focused organisation, with relevant professional qualifications (CA preferred, ACCA, CIMA).
- Strong in terms of management and leadership skills, with the ability to influence a range of stakeholders and motivate high performing teams.
- Experienced in managing multiple funding and revenue channels.
- Proactive and flexible in approach with the ability to work across all functions and at all levels of the organisation.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter to;
Or call 0131 539 7087 for a confidential discussion in the first instance.