Home » Executive Director of Regulation
- September 20, 2019
As the professional body for 12,000 Scottish solicitors, The Law Society of Scotland seeks to lead legal excellence through becoming a world-class professional body. Established in 1949 and largely financed by members, the Law Society regulates and represents all Scottish solicitors and has an important duty towards the public interest.
A 5 year strategy was launched in 2015 with ambitious goals through to 2020. We are currently in the final year of that plan and we have already started the process of developing the 2020 – 2025 plan. This is therefore an exciting time to join The Law Society as our Executive Director of Regulation affording an opportunity to both contribute to its design and to deliver its ambitions.
This role reports to the Chief Executive, is a key member of the Executive Leadership Team and has the responsibility for the ongoing evolution of the strategy and development of the organisation as well as personal accountability and responsibility across the Regulation directorate.
The Regulation directorate includes teams across Regulatory Policy, Conduct Complaints, Financial Compliance and Interventions. The Executive Director of Regulation will have responsibility for developing positive working relationships with the Regulatory Committee Chair, Council, Board and staff at the Law Society.
This senior role will focus on leading organisation-wide regulatory planning, delivery and performance in support of the organisation’s strategic ambitions.
In addition to future proofing the delivery of the strategic regulatory activity, this individual will be responsible for overseeing the overall directorate budget including income, staff and other costs, managing high level risks and generally ensuring compliance, to support the entire organisation.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Work with colleagues, Council, Board and regulatory committees to evolve the Society’s regulatory model
- Ensure all post-admission individual regulatory activity is properly governed, compliant and delivered efficiently.
- Ensure that the regulatory framework of all law firms/providers of legal services is properly governed and compliant with legislation
- Work closely with the Executive Director of Education, Training and Skills to ensure that the Regulatory Committee has an annual operating plan that fits with the overall plan and long-term strategy of the Society
- Lead and motivate the regulatory team to improved levels of performance
- Manage overall directorate budget of c£3m
- Develop positive working relationships with key external stakeholders including the Scottish Government; Lord President’s Office, Chair of Scottish Solicitor Disciplinary Tribunal, Solicitors Regulatory Authority, Scottish Legal Complaints Commission, Office of Professional Body Supervisors and Competition & Markets Authority
- Operate as a key member of the senior leadership team contributing to the design and delivery of the 2025 strategy
This role represents a unique opportunity to contribute to the ongoing transformation of a successful, ambitious and world-renowned professional body at a time of exciting opportunity and change for the legal sector.
A strong leader with significant people skills and experience of working closely with a Board and Committees will be required. A background in Scottish law is critical alongside a strong track-record of leading large budgets and complex teams.
This will therefore suit a motivated and driven legal professional who is looking to make a real lasting impact on an organisation and sector as part of their career achievements and development.
Further information is available by requesting the full candidate brochure or arranging an initial confidential conversation with Ailsa Sutherland at FWB Park Brown.
To apply please send your CV and current remuneration details to Ailsa Sutherland at FWB Park Brown at email@example.com, or call Ailsa to confidentially discuss further on 0131 539 7087.