Home » Executive Director …
- June 30, 2015
Scottish Ballet is Scotland’s national dance company, a Scottish Government-supported national performing company, and one of the leading ballet companies of the United Kingdom. Founded in 1969 the organisation employs 36 professional dancers, around 40 staff and a part-time freelance orchestra of up to 70 musicians. Scottish Ballet’s primary artistic aim is to provide programmes of world-class dance performance and educational activities at all scales. The organisation’s history of touring internationally most recently includes visits to China, Hong Kong, and the USA. Scottish Ballet’s many recent awards include a nomination for the Herald Inspiring City – People Make Glasgow 2014, Art & Culture Award, in 2013 the Oliver Award Nomination – Best New Dance Production (A Streetcar Named Desire) and the Herald Archangel Award- Sustained Brilliance (Dance Odysseys), in 2012 the Critics’ Circle National Dance Awards, Best Classical Choreography (Annabelle Lopez Ochoa for (A Streetcar Named Desire) and in 2011 the new Headquarters at Tramway were nominated for Scottish Civic Trust My Place Award.
The expansion of services provided by Scottish Ballet have shown the organisation to be a pioneer for inclusion by being the first dance company in the UK to offer live audio-description for audiences with visual impairments and new collaborative choreography with children.
Main Purpose of the role:
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO)/Artistic Director and being a member of the Board, the Executive Director is responsible for contributing to and supporting the CEO/Artistic Director in leading and delivering the Company’s strategy for the long-term sustainability of the organisation.
Key criteria of potential candidates:
- Experience of working in the artistic or creative sectors or an affinity with the arts
- Strong strategic skills and ability to translate a vision into effective business plans
- Strong commercial experience
- A high degree of financial literacy, able to formulate financial targets and budgets in accordance with the Company’s strategic aims and within the agreed constraints
- Ability to provide leadership to the HR function in support of the CEO
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships, manage stakeholders very well, and act as an ambassador for the company when required
- A decision-maker who in collaboration with the CEO/Artistic Director is able to work effectively at board level
- Has an ability to work in a fast paced environment where the quality and excellence of performance is of paramount importance
- Can clearly demonstrate a motivational and inspiring leadership style
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Is both a strategic and a hands on leader who is pro-active, solutions-focused and results-driven