Home » Finance Director
- May 27, 2019
Founded in 1954 and headquartered in Elgin, Gleaner is a 3rd generation family business, is one of the largest regional bulk fuel distributors, servicing its customers via a network of depots across Scotland and continues to have an ambitious growth strategy.
Originally created to serve the old fishing and agricultural industries in the North of Scotland, the business has since diversified and serves a wide array of commercial industries, as well as the domestic heating market. It also manages a network of over 50 filling stations, and in total has an annual turnover in excess of £100m. Gleaner’s product portfolio now includes Home Heating Oils, Commercial & Agricultural Fuels, Lubricants, Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) and Boiler Maintenance Services and has a number of strategic and commercial partnerships including Shell and Calor Gas, selling and distributing their bulk fuels across Scotland.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director, the Finance Director will assume responsibility for all financial and governance activities of the business including;
- The provision and discussion of relevant and insightful financial and operating information and analysis to the board/shareholders, giving a clear overview of business performance and helping commercial decision making and strategic planning discussions
- With the Board and external advisers preparing the financial objectives for the business, and being responsible for the annual budgeting process in line with the business plan, forecasting and financial planning
- Assessing performance against both the budget and the longer-term strategy and providing financial input and analysis for key operational decision making
- Design and integrity of robust financial systems and controls
- Continually managing the quite considerable fluctuations in cash / overdraft and liaising regularly with bankers
- Cost benefit and funding appraisal of proposed capital projects for company growth
- Providing leadership and development to the finance team of 12 people
- Managing the annual audit process and ensuring compliance with financial reporting standards
Gleaner seeks to appoint a commercial and credible Finance Director with the experience to anticipate future outcomes and to add value in all areas of the business. Quickly understanding the numbers, grasping how the sector and the business operates and providing the analysis and advice required to enable the best operational, commercial and strategic decisions to be made, will be key to the success of this appointment.
We are open minded to sector background but with strong family values and roots in local communities, the successful candidate will also be able to display inherent behaviours, characteristics and aspirations to thrive in this environment.
Interested candidates should send their CV, with full remuneration details, to Jamie Brown, of FWB Park Brown at email@example.com. For a confidential discussion, please call 0131 539 7087.