Home » Finance Director
- October 14, 2020
Since the founding of the business in 1895, Gordon & MacPhail has sent casks to Scotch whisky distilleries throughout Scotland to be filled with new-make spirit, before being left to mature for many years either at the distillery or in their bonded warehouses in Elgin. The Gordon & MacPhail portfolio offers some of the world’s rarest and most sought-after Single Malt Scotch Whiskies to discerning whisky drinkers globally.
In 1998, the company restarted production at Benromach distillery and has developed the brand into a multi-award winning whisky, with a 5 Star Visitor Experience. In 2020, Gordon & MacPhail is now recognised as not only one of the most prestigious brands but one of the most entrepreneurial, with work starting on the construction of a second distillery, The Cairn, on the outskirts of Grantown on Spey in the Cairngorm National Park. Their whisky portfolio has also recently been complemented by the addition of Red Door Gin and the company is investing heavily in improved technology and systems.
Gordon & MacPhail brands are now exported to over forty countries. In the UK, the company operates its own wholesale business representing its owned brands, a number of exclusive ‘distributor’ brands and a range of premium whiskies and spirits.
The retail shop in Elgin remains the ‘spiritual home’ of the business, 125 years after it was first established in 1895. The shop is home to a large selection of Single Malt Scotch Whiskies and is a destination for many whisky aficionados from around the world.
Finance Director – Job Purpose:
Responsible for developing and implementing the long term strategy for Finance, Human Resources and Information Technology; ensuring that that the services provided support delivery of the Vision and Mission; and enable the business units to achieve their goals and objectives.
Oversees accuracy of financial statements and ensures that the company maintains high standards of fiscal governance.
Ensures appropriate policies, systems and processes (eg: IT infrastructure and resilience, workforce planning, reward, development and succession planning) are in place to support the growth of the business.
Monitors data to ensure efficiency of operations across the business and return on investment.
- Set direction for Group Functions and establish policy and governance frameworks which impact across the entire company
- Lead on the financial strategy for the company, supporting the business planning process as required. Assess long term financial trends and review prospects for future growth (up to 25 years horizon)
- Review business cases for investment and provide advice on investment decisions
- Work with Executive team on financial forecasting, setting of KPIs, annual budgets and 5 year plan
- Monitor and review monthly company performance against budget
- Ensure appropriate system of financial control is maintained to ensure compliance with the requirements of the financial regulatory and legislative framework
- Oversee the evolution of the corporate structure, ensuring sufficient workforce planning and monitoring of overheads
- Ensure appropriate systems are in place to protect employee and customer data; and ensure compliance with GDPR
- Selection and review of professional advisors
- Treasury management
- Ensure strong focus on cash management and borrowings and relationships with company bankers
- As a member of the Board share collective responsibility for Corporate Strategy and Governance
- Contribute to the strategic direction of the business and participate fully as a member of the Executive Team and the Main Board on all strategic issues across the business
- Provide Company Secretarial and Governance support
- Attend family assemblies as a member of the executive team / board
- Develop policies and procedures to safeguard the company’s assets and provide assurance for stakeholders
- Develop and maintain the Company risk register
- Develop and maintain the Company delegation of authority framework
- Arrange and maintain company insurance arrangements
- Oversee company pension arrangements
- Ensure appropriate business continuity policies / procedures are in place
- Provide oversight of Group Functions (Finance, HR and IT) and ensure these provide effective and timely support to the Business Units and Operations Division
- Look for opportunities to improve processes across the business
- Accountable for quality and cost effectiveness of services provided by Group Functions
- Oversee development of company-wide ERP systems and implementation of new reporting processes which support visibility of unit performance and inform business decision making
- Review reward strategy and work with Head of HR to develop future structures and incentives
- Lead on pay and pension matters
- Ensure maintenance of commercial terms and arrangements with suppliers and customers
- Ensure appropriate system infrastructure and resilience to support the business as it grows
To request the candidate brochure, for further information on the role or location flexibility, to assess your fit as a potential candidate or a general and confidential discussion, please contact Michael Dickson from FWB Park Brown on +44 131 539 7087 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Elgin (flexibility will be discussed)