Home » Head of Environmental Sustainability
- October 22, 2020
The Scottish Salmon Producers Organisation (SSPO) is the voice of an iconic global brand, which brings major economic and social benefits to Scotland, especially for rural and island communities. Scottish Salmon is the UK’s number one food export. The sector produces more than £1 billion of healthy, nutritional food each year. Its annual exports are worth more than £600m and it supports 10,000 jobs across the supply chain. Salmon is a proud Scottish success story – an outstanding example of a ‘good food’, produced to the highest standards with the lowest carbon footprint in farming.
The SSPO plays a central role in representing its members on political, regulatory, and environmental matters in Scotland, the UK, EU and across international markets. The salmon sector is a key contributor to Scotland’s target of net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2045, while aiding the country post-Covid recovery and the blue economy. The successful candidate will help drive sustainable development for member companies, ensuring an operating environment which is conducive to industry growth and resilience.
The organisation now seeks to appoint an outstanding Head of Environmental Sustainability who will play a critical role in shaping the future of the sector. With the recent establishment of the organisations, and members Sustainability Charter, the individual will work with members and a range of stakeholders to deliver this Charter and drive sustainable growth as the UK and global economies emerge from Covid-19.
In doing so, key elements of the role will include;
- Enhancing strong, positive relationships with member companies, Scottish and UK Government, local authorities and relevant bodies such as SEPA, Marine Scotland, ENGO’s and key stakeholders.
- Protecting and enhancing the natural environment and biodiversity associated with salmon farming in Scotland.
- Ensuring effective compliance against all planning and regulatory requirements.
- Promoting sustainable Supply chain, infrastructure and connectivity development.
- Working with communities, Government and business to promote fish farming as a career of choice and the communicate the skills needs of the industry.
- Management of specific retail, consumer and nutrition matters.
- Identifying and supporting industry research needs.
- Enhancing the salmon sectors social licence.
We are seeking to appoint a highly motivated individual who is passionate about the value of sustainable fish farming to local economies, believes in a science and evidence-based approach to sustainability and foresees a sector providing health, nutritious protein for the domestic and worldwide food market.
The successful candidate will ideally possess the following;
- Experience of operating in a senior environmental sustainability (related) position within preferably aquaculture, although consideration will be given to candidates from relevant organisations within broader food & drink sectors
- An understanding and a knowledge of the key stakeholders within the sector.
- Strong communication and influencing skills, with the ability to identify and deliver relevant information, recommendations and solutions to key stakeholder groups.
- A passion and interest in the sector with the enthusiasm to drive sustainable development of salmon farming in Scotland.
- As a minimum, the candidate will hold a Masters degree in a relevant field (Environmental Sustainability, Marine/Agricultural Science or related), or preferably a PhD.
A full candidate brochure is available to download here.
To discuss the role please contact Jamie Brown at FWB Park Brown on 0131 539 7087 or email your CV to email@example.com.