Home » Head of Finance
- October 11, 2019
Since the founding of the business in 1895, Gordon & MacPhail has sent casks to Scotch whisky distilleries throughout Scotland to be filled with new-make spirit, before being left to mature for many years either at the distillery or in their bonded warehouses in Elgin.
The Gordon & MacPhail portfolio offers some of the world’s rarest and most sought-after Single Malt Scotch Whiskies to discerning whisky drinkers globally. The company’s wholesale business serves customers throughout the United Kingdom it’s owned brands, Benromach Single Malt, Red Door gin and Gordon & MacPhail whiskies, into the on and off trade. The business also exclusively represents a number of ‘distributor’ brands and stocks premium whiskies and spirits.
The retail shop in Elgin remains the ‘spiritual home’ of the business, 125 years after it was first established in 1895. The shop is home to a large selection of Single Malt Scotch Whiskies and is a destination for many whisky aficionados from around the world. Elgin is also home to the HQ and previously this role was primarily office based. The desire is to return to the office (post-covid) within a blended flexible office working environment with occasional visits to professional advisors and other key stakeholders as required. Currently the role will be based primarily at home with occasional office and on-site meetings as appropriate and agreed.
Gordon & MacPhail’s priority throughout the pandemic has been the safety of its team and adheres to strict health and safety protocols in every element of its operations, the adoption of Covid-19 policies and procedures has been no different.
Following the relocation of the current Head of Finance, and with succession planning in mind, Gordon & MacPhail are looking to recruit a Head of Finance to join the extended Senior Leadership Team.
A key position within the Senior Leadership Team (alongside the other Heads of function), the position advises on the financial and budget planning works closely with the other SLT members to guide and advise on their departmental/functional planning.
The purpose of this role is to ensure the financial and IT systems, processes and disciplines are operated effectively and in a timely manner, provide forward-looking management information and financial planning, and the overall management of the full forecasting, budgeting and controls environment.
Developing the Finance Function
- Deliver a large continuous improvement agenda in finance processes and systems; ensuring development of systems to support the future business requirements
- Make analysis and recommendations on procedures, processes and systems to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of the finance function
- Drive the development of integrated Business Unit Reporting; and evolve that reporting to provide analysis which supports executive decision making
- Inspire, coach and mentor a high performance culture with a collaborative and engaging team dynamic with a view to succession planning and the overall upskilling of the function
- Play a critical role in the delivery and integration of the ERP programme, with a view to designing and leveraging more efficient processes, utilising reporting benefits and targeting improved management information following go live of the new system
Delivering Financial Services
- Lead on all aspects of management accounting and statutory financial reporting
- Responsible for completion of the annual audit (facilitating audit sign off) and production of company statutory accounts (including dormant accounts)
- Overseeing the production of monthly accounts (including reforecasting model and commentary for Finance Director)
- Responsible for the completion of the annual budget and longer-term strategic planning processes (including the governance around these projects), culminating in Executive and Board sign off
- Provide financial input to strategic considerations including benchmarking data and market analysis
- Review and approve business cases up to the appropriate delegated level of authority
- Support new product development, evaluating various growth/new business opportunities and leading analysis of financial risks involved with prospective projects
- Undertake strategic projects and associated analysis to deep dive into specific business topics using a finance lens
- Assist with all pay, pension and taxation compliance matters
Maintaining Financial Controls
- Initiate, create and maintain a range of regular financial models, reports and analysis
- Define and implement continuous improvement of the financial control processes, policies and governance environment with accountability for financial policy review, development and challenge
- Support the design and development of business processes (eg: effective costing) to support analysis of business and product effectiveness
- Monitor expense drivers and work with the business to ensure most efficient cost structure
- Design and institutionalise key performance metrics
Supporting the Business
- Interface effectively with Heads of Commercial and Supply Chain Divisions
- Strengthen commercial and financial competence across the company to improve financial decision making, operational effectiveness, profitability and accountability
- Help Business Unit leaders understand their businesses from an integrated financial perspective, providing insight into potential improvements and feasibility of various initiatives
- Develop the IT department in alignment with the business’ long-term needs
- Set standards for production of business cases and guide business leaders in meeting these requirements
- Build and maintain strong working relationships across the organisation at all levels
- Drive an increased analytical culture and mindset within the company
Or alternatively, you can contact our Aberdeen and Edinburgh offices by phone on
Aberdeen: +44 (0) 1224 317 344
Edinburgh: +44 131 539 7087
- Elgin with Flexibility