Home » Head of Sustainability
- October 04, 2019
The newly created role of Head of Sustainability, reporting to the Chief Strategy and Sustainability Officer, will work with both internal and external stakeholders to mature Weir Group’s sustainability strategy and support the delivery of strategic sustainability priorities.
This role, part of the growth of the Strategy and Sustainability team, recognises the critical role Weir’s innovative engineering has in making its main markets more sustainable, including reducing energy, waste and water consumption.
The individual should be a highly resourceful individual with high EQ, strong personal ownership and succinct verbal and written communication skills. This is a highly facilitative role that requires a combination of focus, flexibility and responsiveness.
Key Responsibilities and Specific Accountabilities:
The core components of the role include, but are not limited to:
Strategy – Grow and mature Group-wide sustainability strategy
- Lead the design and execution of Weir Group’s long-term sustainability roadmap strategy. Mature the Group’s sustainability goals and commitments, keeping abreast of latest thinking and competitor landscape in this rapidly changing agenda, to ensure we focus on where we can have the greatest impact for each of our stakeholders.
- Partner with internal and external stakeholders, sustainability experts and practitioners to identify, evaluate and prioritise the highest value (risk or opportunity) Group-wide initiatives to deliver the chosen ambition in each area of sustainability, linked to our core strategy.
- Purposefully grow scope and ambition from footprint to handprint to blueprint in focus areas with clear intent and pragmatic trade-off transparency to maximise the benefits for all our stakeholders.
Delivery – Lead and/or support the delivery and value capture of our sustainability priorities
- Provide centralised sustainability expertise, leadership and trusted partner capability to Group/Divisions/Functions to initiate, incubate and mature strategic sustainability roadmap priority actions efficiently – using internal sustainability team expertise or external partners as appropriate.
- Lead initiatives to mitigate sustainability risk to the Group e.g. TCFD requirements (both physical and transition), carbon pricing strategy etc.
- Support Divisions/Functions in the identification and capture of funding mechanisms – partnership funding, grant support, extended tax relief etc.
- Form and lead a cross-Divisions/Functions Sustainability Steering Committee(s) as required to shape and govern our strategy, cascade goals and delivery/reporting accountability and ensure best practice and capabilities are fully leveraged across the Group.
- Support and fully develop Group Sustainability Implementation and Reporting Manager role to ensure our reporting and implementation strategy, processes, governance and capabilities deliver against growing legislative and external stakeholders’ requirements in an efficient and robust manner.
Engagement – Drive internal and external stakeholder engagement in our sustainability strategy
- Raise Weir Group’s external sustainability profile through both participation and communication routes (website, social media marcoms, forums, panels, committees, memberships etc). Building effective partnerships with external stakeholders (customers, investors, communities) to identify and drive shared value.
- Partner with Group Sustainability Implementation and Reporting Manager to grow Weir Group’s sustainability culture and champions community through internal initiatives, communications and educational routes. Support Divisions/Functions in the doing the same ensuring consistency of message.
- Transition We are Weir mission “To enable our customers to sustainably and efficiently deliver the raw materials needed by a growing world” to be our living purpose. Demonstrate tangible success via Peakon survey question.
This role is a member of Head office Leadership Team (HQ) and key stakeholders include:
- The Board of Directors and the Group Executive
- Regional Managing Directors and Functional Heads of Department
- Group Head of Adv Manufacturing, Innovation and Research and Head of Strategic Planning and Projects
For more information on the opportunity. Weir Group plc as an employer and the wider industry as an exciting career move please get in touch to request a detailed candidate brochure.
Additionally, for a confidential conversation about this or to apply formally for the position please contact Michael Dickson on 0131 539 7087 or email@example.com
- Glasgow / Flexible