Home » Regional Director – Ireland
- April 19, 2022
As one of the UK’s major logistics providers, Menzies Distribution enables companies to optimise value from their supply chain activities. The business specialises in providing contract logistics, warehousing, distribution, systems integration and added value services to a wide range of customers and long-term partners. Its diverse and unique set of capabilities also means it can share best practice across the various industry sectors in which it operates.
Menzies Distribution operates from more than 100 sites across the UK and Ireland, distributing over 29.5 million units across its network every week, to more than 30,000 locations each day, including newspapers and magazines, retail stock, healthcare consumables and parcel delivery services. Employing almost 5,000 people and operating with over 4,200 vehicle assets, the Menzies Distribution Group has annual turnover in excess of £1.2bn.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a growing, and evolving business at a critical point in its transformation journey. Over recent years Menzies has diversified its customer and sector base having shifted from being reliant on the news and magazine trade, to now having customers across grocers & retail, pharma & healthcare, stationery, print & paper, engineering and food ingredients. The business has also broadened its service offering and this is a chance for an experienced Logistics Executive to be part of the Groups growth and development within these key sectors.
The role will assume responsibility for business operations in both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland with key operational sites in Belfast and Dublin. The business in Ireland has around 140 directly employed staff in the region, with another 200-250 indirectly employed via sub-contractors/partners, with combined revenues across the regions totalling in excess of €100 million.
The individual will manage a highly capable team, consisting of a Logistics Manager, Operations Manager, Distribution Manager, Business Development Manager and a Transport Manager. The team is very well established, and incredibly strong, providing ample support to the new incumbent.
At present, the Regional Director holds the unique additional responsibility (supported by the wider commercial function in the business) of involvement in a lot of the commercial and contractual terms associated with the business in the R.O.I.
Key Areas of Priority in the post will include;
- Overseeing and developing our logistics, operational and service requirements across multiple customers and sites both in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
- Successfully delivering key performance and efficiency with regional operational teams.
- The management of staffing, profit, performance, and general operation of each branch, whilst liaising with branch management and supervisors.
- Leadership and motivation of Distribution Centre teams to deliver exceptional performance by setting clear objectives and targets, monitoring, and reviewing progress and supporting them in the delivery of their targets.
- Liaison with new Business Partners to develop and integrate new business opportunities.
- Assuming responsibility as the senior contact in forming relationships with our Irish based customers and operational leads in addition to supporting the wider MDL – UK commercial teams.
- Leading operational performance including primary trunking, final mile (radial), execution plans, sub-contractors, claims, stock holding, returns and customer service processes.
- In conjunction with Finance working to maximize efficiencies and operations in line with Key Performance and budget expectations.
- Working with Executive teams in Ireland and the UK on contract renewal process.
- Monitor and control key contracts, ensuring Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality compliance is maintained, and the Company’s procedures and objectives are achieved developing, building, nurturing, and maintaining long- term relationships.
Given the nuances of the business in Ireland the existing partner relationships and political environment, the strong desire is to identify a candidate who is either based in the Republic of Ireland at present or someone who will have an existing or recently established network of contacts in the Republic.
The successful candidate will be an experienced and inspiring Operational Executive with extensive experience gained in a complex logistics environment, preferably within a relevant final-mile distribution environment (e.g. parcels, mail, retail, FMCG).
They will possess a high degree of financial literacy and commercial awareness with experience of contributing to the development of, and management of contractual agreements.
Strong communication and a focus on people will be the core of the successful candidate’s approach to leadership and they will have a track record in developing high performing teams and driving operational performance.
To download the full candidate brochure click here.
To apply or have a confidential discussion please contact Jamie Brown;