Home » Senior Director, Research & Development
- April 01, 2021
Founded in 2005 and funded by The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office since 2008, GALVmed’s approach is unique and enables substantial and sustainable improvements in small-scale agriculture. The end point sees major small-scale livestock diseases being effectively controlled with vaccines and other animal health products purchased by small-scale livestock producers at market prices and without donor input or outside intervention – with the ultimate goal of creating a sustainable future for the agricultural industry.
We are looking to appoint a Senior Director R&D to oversee the scientific function as per GALVmed’s mission and objectives, including evaluation of new technologies, new process development and applied product development projects. The position will be responsible for establishing the organization’s strategic scientific input and maintaining the highest quality of scientific foundations and ethics of the company.
You will be responsible for an R&D department of c 11 individuals and will play a crucial role between both the R&D (product development) and Commercial Development and Partnerships:
- Product Development: GALVmed harnesses the best available expertise and capabilities in academia, public research institutes and the commercial pharmaceutical sector to improve access to quality vaccines, medicines and diagnostics for the major livestock diseases impacting small-scale producers
- Commercial Development: GALVmed’s commercial development activities are underwritten by the willingness of small-scale livestock producers to pay the market price for effective livestock health products (particularly vaccines). The aim is for larger market initiatives to be developed to bring in the private vaccine manufacturers to achieve and sustain the scale that can reach millions of small-scale livestock producers
You will be responsible for:
- Defining the strategy for all scientific and R&D matters and driving innovation in line with the needs of the livestock producers GALVmed seeks to serve.
- Retaining, developing and recruiting a team of qualified researchers whilst managing performance and operations/output of this team and all cross-functional collaboration and interactions
- Leading all internal R&D and all external R&D partner engagement work as well as handling private/public partnerships with funders, governments, academia, and the animal health industry
- Serving as GALVmed’s scientific spokesperson, presenting scientific results and providing thought leadership in scientific publications, press conferences, staff & board meetings, scientific conventions and stakeholder events
- Being a key member of the GALVmed executive team responsible for delivering the 2022-2030 strategic plan and ultimately achieving the goal of creating a sustainable future for the agricultural industry in these markets and locations
The successful candidate will be motivated by the vision and purpose of GALVmed and a true opportunity to make a difference. They will be comforted and reassured by the long-term security in such a well-funded and supported charity, whilst excited and enthusiastic about the challenge and real opportunity to create lasting change in this sector and in the world’s agricultural and livestock industries, especially within developing countries.
Candidates should have:
- Degree in Veterinary Medicine or equivalent Life Science Degree or Life Science PhD
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in commercial Animal Health & product development
- Minimum of 10 years of senior management experience
- Senior strategic leadership experience
- Good understanding of infectious diseases and product needs in LMICs, especially Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. Experience of Animal Health in Africa and / or Indian Sub-Continent would be very advantageous
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively
A full candidate brochure is available to download here.
To apply, please send your CV to Ailsa Sutherland at FWB Park Brown at email@example.com.
- Edinburgh or Nairobi but flexible globally