Home » Director of Housing & Customer Services
- August 10, 2015
The Director of Housing & Customer Services reports to the CEO as part of the Corporate Management team and will have responsibility for the Association’s Housing and Customer Services provision. Responsible areas include Neighbourhoods, Allocations, Welfare Rights, Rental Income, Tenant Scrutiny and Customer Services. This role will support the CEO in leading development of the organisation’s culture, with the goal of becoming a market-leading customer focused business.
You will ensure the provision of an integrated housing and customer service provision across the business through clear leadership and direction. This will contribute directly to the Associations key strategic objectives and will maximise customer satisfaction, value for money and efficiency.
You will be expected to drive the performance and quality agenda for the Association, leading by example.
Founded in 1965, West of Scotland Housing Association (WSHA) is a people focused, dynamic social housing provider with a unique history and vision for the future. The organisation provides great quality homes at affordable rents in Glasgow and throughout the West of Scotland, including mainstream, sheltered and amenity housing. In addition they work in partnership with a number of specialist care organisations creating bespoke homes to support a range of special needs.
WSHA recognises that customers’ aspirations are constantly changing. They have the experience, expertise, financial strength and confidence of our stakeholders to ensure they continue to meet those aspirations placing customers at the ‘heart’ of their service delivery. Their roots lie firmly in social housing but their commitment to community regeneration goes well beyond bricks and mortar.
Responsible business practice is core to their organisation and they believe being successful at this starts with healthy, happy and motivated staff. Their people are at the heart of their business and they support them to be their best when they are at work. Their commitment to staff is reflected with three recent accolades from Investors in People (IIP): a Gold Standard; a Health and Wellbeing Award; and a Young People Accreditation. These awards are assessed rigorously by IIP and are only given to excellent organisations who demonstrate true support and development of their staff.
WSHA has been part of Gentoo Group since April 2013 when the two organisations formed a partnership based on similar values, culture and aspirations for the future.
- Appropriate to their role, the jobholder has specific responsibility for the leadership and management of the staff teams, strategy, business planning and service delivery in the following areas:
- Welfare Rights
- Rental Income
- Tenant Scrutiny
- Customer Services
- Deliver performance in the upper quartile of RSL’s across Scotland
- Develop, lead and deliver a plan of continual improvement across Neighbourhoods, Allocations, Welfare Rights, Rental Income, Tenant Scrutiny and Customer Services to ensure excellent service delivery
- Ensure that there is sound financial and performance management that results in rent levels, service charges and other recoveries set at appropriately viable levels from year to year and performance targets are achieved
- Ensure that all activities continually meet housing need, demand, aspirations and demand with particular emphasis on allocations and other procedures for granting tenancies
- Monitor and review organisations to whom residential property are leased to ensure that their activity is directed towards those in greatest housing need and that there is a general compliance with Performance Standards
- Promote good quality relations with tenants, owners, the local community and other bodies
- Developing a highly skilled and motivated team
- Provide advice and assistance to support the effective delivery of specific strategic projects
- Ensure the effective leadership and management of the existing teams. Promote good quality relations with tenants, owners, the local community and other bodies
- Develop streamlined efficient systems and processes
- Develop strategies to ensure a high level of customer engagement
- Involve customers in service delivery and improve customer satisfaction levels
- The jobholder will have responsibility for specific aspects of corporate policy and strategy as a member of the leadership team, ensuring that the business meets its obligations to customers, regulators and stakeholders
- To work within the requirements of the Association’s employment and other corporate policies and procedures
- Ensure relevant statutory and other requirements are adequately discharged
- Develop or review and be responsible for the operation of: strategies, plans, policies and procedures in accordance with the Association’s overall aims and objectives all in line with recognised best practice and the Scottish Housing Regulator
- Be a representative of the Association at relevant conferences and forums
- Liaise with other members of staff of the Association, and with representatives of other agencies and contractors.
- Any other activity necessary for the fulfilment of the Association’s aims and objectives and within the job purpose of the role
- Support and participate in the appropriate Committees. This will include advice, guidance and training as appropriate
- Lead staff and ensure they are developed, and have the competencies and empowerment to meet standards for service and performance
- Ensure staff are effectively supported by adhering to WSHA’s People Policies
- Develop a team approach across property maintenance and the organisation as a whole
- Promote the development of staff skills through personal development discussions, coaching and counselling, identifying training needs and providing training either personally or through other sources
- Deliver and monitor performance, to ensure Key Performance Indicators and service standards are achieved.
- Ensure that requests for information, reports and statistics are responded to.
- Liaise with IT to ensure the effective operation of WSHA IT technology to maximise the customer and staff experience.
- Contribute to the CMT in managing change to the organisation’s culture, products and services
- Business and Performance Management
- Set, achieve and be accountable for team performance targets
- Effectively communicate relevant business and performance data to the team, customers and stakeholder where appropriate
- Regularly analyse and evaluate processes and outcomes to further improve performance
- To achieve Scottish Housing Charter expectations in all aspects of the service
Operations Management Team
- Participate as a member of the Corporate Management Team
- Contribute to the direction of key service areas
- Take responsibility and be accountable for your actions and behaviour
- Value creativity and innovation
- Put people at the heart of everything and value the contribution that they can make
- Be energised and energise others in pursuit of the Associations goals
- Work in an ethical way that demonstrates your personal values
- Have fun, enjoy your work and working environment, create a buzz about the place
- The post holder will act as an ambassador for West of Scotland Housing Association
- The post holder must at all times comply with Equality and Diversity policies and procedures and adopt the Associations culture of inclusion, fairness and respect. The post holder will be expected to have understanding of inclusivity in relation to age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender reassignment, religion and belief and sexual orientation
- The post holder must at all times comply with the Health and Safety Policy and procedures and must draw to their manager’s attention any unsafe working practice/conditions
- The post holder will comply with the aims and objectives of our Environmental Strategy and drawing to management’s attention any adverse environmental impacts as well as actively engaging with the Planet Smart philosophy
- The post holder will comply with the Information Security Policy and must draw to their manager’s to attention any security breaches